Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Food Networks Chefs Cooking Challenge!


Sarah, from "I Blame Mom" is doing a Cooking challenge! We pick one recipe from one Food Network chef a week, make it, eat it, and blog about it!

This week the recipe was from Aida Mollenkamp.



I looked through her recipes, and was intrigued by her Pesto Lasagna. I love pesto, so I thought I'd give this a try! I don't have a picture yet- sorry! - but here is the recipe! (picture from Food network.com)

Pesto Lasagna

  • 2 cups finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 2 ounces) **I used a mixture of parmesean, asiago, etc. The Reggiano was too expensive!!
  • 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream (or ½ & ½)
  • 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
  • 8 medium garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • For the lasagna:

    • 1 pound fresh lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
    • 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1-ounce

    Directions

    For the pesto: Combine half pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until evenly combined, about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and process until evenly blended, about 1 more minute. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired.

    For the lasagna: Heat oven to 375 degrees F and arrange rack in upper third.

    Meanwhile, alternatively layer a scant 1/4 cup pesto and 1 sheet of fresh lasagna noodles in an 8 by 8-inch baking dish, trimming noodles, as needed, to fit. There should be about 10 to 12 layers. Top lasagna with cheese and bake until bubbly around edges and cheese is melted, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let sit at least 20 minutes before serving.

    Needless to say, this recipe was pretty easy! We liked it, but really didn't LOVE it.

    Will we have it again? Maybe. Next time I would add some shredded chicken.


    5 comments:

    1. This looks so pretty. I would agree that it may need something else to make it a "wow" dish. You can't get by on good looks alone :)

      Thanks for participating in FNCCC!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yeah, we weren't wowed by it either. But it was interesting to try.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I looked at this one too. I tend to like my lasagna with lots of veggies in it, so I'd add veggies too :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Veggies would be good. We just have so many good recipes, that I don't think this one will make it back. :(

      ReplyDelete
    5. I like the idea of a cooking challenge ... but I just can't imagine that I could ever be a great cook.

      www.FunnyPhotosContest.com Submit CUTE or FUNNY photos and tell friends to vote for them. No entry fee.

      ReplyDelete