Thursday, May 27, 2010

Taco Soup




In college, I had a great friend named Cami. She made this soup, and everyone begged and pleaded for the recipe.
Years (but not too many!) later, this is still a family favorite.

*I've posted this recipe previously, but finally got a picture! Plus, this time I added Kidney beans, which are not an original ingredient. They are something that a coworker recommended. Did they add anything? Not really. So, kidney beans are optional!

Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger
1 8oz can El Pato Sauce**
2 14oz canned chopped tomatoes
1 16oz can corn (I use frozen corn for it's freshness. Just fill up the empty chili can to measure)
1 16oz can chili with beans
1 16oz can kidney beans (optional)
1/2 pkg taco seasoning mix


Toppings include:
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
Cheese

**El Pato sauce is a spicy tomato sauce, and can be found in most grocery stores in the "ethnic" food section. If you can't find it, or want a milder substitute 1 8oz can Tomato Sauce and add 1/4 teas each of chili powder, cayenne, garlic, and onion.

Fry hamburger in a large sauce pan, and drain. Put hamburger back in the pan, and add the rest of the ingredients.
Bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with grated cheese, corn chips, and sour cream.
Don't use a spoon! Use chips!

This soup also freezes well. Place soup in individual serving ziplock bags and freeze!


7 comments:

  1. Woo hoo!! This sounds tasty :D Finally someone else who knows what El Pato sauce is!! I love the stuff and use it to season my taco meat :) I am going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds so good. I think I will make it for supper tonight :) Nice and simple and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Please let me know how you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously I learned it from her too. My kids LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love taco soup! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The taco soup sounds and looks comforting and wonderful for a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete