Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chicken and Broccoli Braid

Photo courtesy of AllRecipes.com

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas holiday! In lieu of the new year, I will be trying to post healthier recipes for you to enjoy. There will still be the occasional sweet, but everything is good in moderation!

This recipe is one I found on Allrecipes. It's one of those recipes that I don't make a lot, but everytime I do, I wonder why I don't make it more often! My husband even likes it, and he abhors anything with mayo in it. It's that good!

You'll notice the picture isn't mine. That is because I had a sad thing happen the night I was making these. I mixed all the ingredients together, and was ready to put it in the crust.
I opened the first crescent roll... and it was moldy.

Moldy!

I didn't dare open the other tubes.

So... since it was a frustrating night anyway- I had been trying to get dinner on the table before my husband had to go to work- we just warmed up leftovers and ate those. Except for me. I loaded up a flour tortilla with this chicken mixture, and enjoyed it that way! It was very good that way, but much better in crescent rolls.

So, if I can get up my nerve to buy crescent rolls again... I will be making this dish! It's an exclusive, dinner in one package meal. Meat, veggies, starch, all in one!


Chicken and Broccoli Braid
Allrecipes.com

2 cups diced, cooked chicken meat (Use rotisserie meat, or cook chicken in herbs and garlic.)
1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped (can use frozen as well)
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 clove crushed garlic
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1/4 cup diced onion
2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent rolls
1 egg white, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees F).

In a large bowl, toss together chicken, broccoli, red bell pepper, garlic, Cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, dill weed, salt, almonds and onion.

Unroll crescent roll dough, and arrange flat on a medium baking sheet. Pinch together perforations to form a single sheet of dough. Using a knife or scissors, cut 1 inch wide strips in towards the center, starting on the long sides. There should be a solid strip about 3 inches wide down the center, with the cut strips forming a fringe down each side.

Spread the chicken mixture along the center strip. Fold the side strips over chicken mixture, alternating strips from each side. Pinch or twist to seal. Brush braided dough with the egg white.

Bake in the preheated oven 25 to 28 minutes, or until golden brown.


6 comments:

  1. That looks soooooooooooooo yummy. I am going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and easy. I had most ingredients on hand. I ran out for broccoli and a roaster chicken. I doubled the recipe and only half of one "braid" was left. Mine didn't braid well. The dough was far too soft. I would suggest cutting it and then sticking it in the freezer for five minutes.

    I was feeding four boys plus my husband so doubling was necessary. I also added an extra half cup of broccoli. Otherwise I made it exactly as written.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to the ewwwww factor of opening up something you just bought and having it moldy - that happened with a package of cream cheese I bought. I've never bought cream cheese at that store again.

    The braid sounds easy and delicious. I love the addition of almonds for crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this a few weeks ago, minus the peppers and almonds. It was so good! I paired it with broccoli cheese soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that just can burn your buttons, when everyone is waiting for dinner! This recipe looks great, I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete