Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fragrant Thai Chicken Curry

This dish takes a little more time and effort, but is well worth it. It is great to serve at a party, because the chicken and sauce can be prepared in advance and combined and heated at the last minute. This is one of my families personal favorite Thai dishes.

I actually posted this recipe once before, but I didn't have any pictures. Now, I have pictures- lots and lots of pictures!! Enjoy!

Again, see my Thai Tips post if you need help explaining the different Thai ingredients! The * indicates ingredients that are best found at an Asian grocery store.

Fragrant Thai Chicken Curry

3 TB oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 TB Thai red curry paste * (I would put 2TB in)
4 cups coconut milk (roughly 2-3 cans)
2 lemon grass stalks, coarsely chopped*
6 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped*
2/3 cup Greek or Plain yogurt
2 TB apricot jam (I've made this w/out the jam, as no one eats the rest of the jar!)
3 lb cooked chicken breasts
2 TB cilantro
salt and ground black pepper
Kaffir lime leaves, shredded, toasted coconut, and fresh cilantro to garnish
Cooked Jasmine Rice to serve

1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook over a low heat for 5-10 minutes until soft.


Stir in the red curry paste. Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.


Stir in the coconut milk, then add the lemon grass, lime leaves, yogurt, and apricot jam. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.




2. In the meantime start cooking your rice, following the directions on the package. See tips for cooking jasmine rice here.

2. Remove the pan from the heat, and allow to cool slightly. Transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender and process to a smooth puree. Rinse out your pan. Strain the mixture back into the pan, pressing as much of the pureed mixture as possible through the sieve with the back of a wooden spoon. Discard what is left in the sieve. Set aside while you prepare the chicken.

3. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the sauce. ( I used chicken that I had previously cooked and frozen, and shredded it.)

4. Bring the sauce back to simmering. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Serve in warm bowls; garnishing with extra lime leaves, shredded coconut, and cilantro. Serve over Rice.


Enjoy the burst of flavor that is Thai cuisine.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds super tasty!! I am going to give it a go soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super YUM--my goodness! Oh I love your blog! Stopping in to see how it's going! COme see my latest giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you via the Utah Hive! Wowza! Thai recipe weekly? I can't wait! I {HEART} Thai food! This one looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks AMAZING! What type of curry are you using, if at all? I'm not seeing it in your recipe but your use of other ingredients SUPER intrigues me. Ah, wait, Thai Curry Paste... Got it! YUM!

    ReplyDelete