Thursday, February 18, 2010

Strawberry Cookie Bars







I've discovered something about myself as I cook and bake more. I'm becoming more adventurous, and willing to take risks with my food. Valentine's day weekend, I was making a desert to take to a family party. It was supposed to be a strawberry jello-like dessert. I made the crust, but when I went to make the topping, I realized that I didn't have any white chocolate chips. I was tired and disappointed. A year earlier, I would have thrown in the towel and picked something up at the grocery store.

This time, however, I just stood there, staring at that crust, wondering what I could do with it. I wanted to use the strawberries, and I had the idea of cream stuck in my head. I ended up making a cream cheese frosting, and added the strawberries on top. Now, it sounded simple. Basically it was just a sugar cookie with frosting and strawberries. You can imagine that, right? But, when it came time to eat, this desert was an amazing creation. The frosting had not set up like frosting does, probably because of the strawberry juice, or because it had been out of the fridge for awhile. I was so worried when I cut into it, and the frosting was a liquid. But then I heard something... From the mouth of my Grandpa came these words... "This sauce is amazing!" Yes! My dessert was a triumph!

Strawberry Cookie Bars

Crust:
1 pouch (1lb 1.5oz) Sugar Cookie Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 egg

Frosting:
1 cream cheese block, softened
1 stick (1/4 lb or 1/2 cup) butter, softened
4 cups Powdered Sugar
1 teas. vanilla
1 cup of pureed strawberries

Toppings:
3-4 cups additional sliced strawberries
1 cup shredded coconut

Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom only of a 13x9inch baking pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine cookie mix, butter, and egg until a soft dough forms. Press evenly in bottom of pan. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool completely- about 30 minutes.

Make frosting: Combine all the frosting ingredients, EXCEPT the strawberries in a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer on medium, until combined and fluffy. Stir in pureed strawberries.

Layer the sliced strawberries on top of the cookie crust; saving a few for garnish.

Frost the top of the cookie bar. I didn't use the entire amount of frosting- only about 3/4 of it. If you have extras, just put it in the fridge, where you can spread it on graham crackers and enjoy later!

Sprinkle the saved strawberries and the coconut on top of the frosting. Cover and refrigerate to keep the strawberries fresh.

4 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I really shouldn't read food blogs when hungry. That looks awesome!

    Stopping by from SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you are becoming a more confident cook! Congratulations :) mmm... I love strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word...i stopped in from SITS and now i must go to the store! these are shut up delish looking!

    ReplyDelete