Monday, May 3, 2010

Taco Shells and Taco Salad



Mexican again! But, it's timely this time, since Wednesday is Cinco de Mayo! This has become my new favorite way to serve those wonderful beans, meat, and toppings. Turning a flour tortilla into a baked shell is fast, easy, and actually just as healthy as not baking it! The best part of this recipe is that you can do a lot, or just one at a time.

Now, a word about the picture above. I am not totally immune to veggies. I was planning on filling this with salad greens, but when I went to get them out of the fridge, they were spoiled. I promise I eat my greens! :)




Baked Flour Tortilla Shells

Flour tortillas. I used burrito size; other sizes can be used.
A narrow bowl, jar, or oven-safe jug
Cooking spray

Heat the oven to 400. Spray both sides of the tortilla and drape it over an upturned bowl or jar.

Place the bowl with the tortilla on top, into the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the tortilla is crunchy. Remove carefully, and fill with your favorite filling!

Filling ideas:
Lime Cilantro Chicken
Guacamole
Spicy Crockpot Shredded Pork
Refried and Black Beans
LETTUCE! ;)
Sour Cream (Mine in the picture has cilantro mixed in)

Eat while still warm!

8 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I love the taco salads in the shell, but hate to eat the shell because I know it's so unhealthy. Will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...it's almost lunch time and that's making my tummy growl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Let me know how you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made your strawberry cookie bars tonight for some friends and they were all oohing and aweing over it. YUM!

    Of course I didn't read the recipe correctly before hand so I had nowhere near enough strawberries, so I threw in some raspberries for good measure.

    DEEEEElicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol Stacy! Raspberries sound like they would be perfect too! Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea...baked tortilla shells! Brilliant. I'm so glad to have found your amazing blog. Thanks for coming by and making my SITS day so spectacular! Your time and words mean the world to me.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's for Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great with that lime cilantro chicken filling! And these baked shells would make a fun meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing us how to make taco bowls! This is so much healthier than frying them into shape!

    ReplyDelete